br Salvador Porters: Our Language Progression

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Our Language Progression

We are contiuing with our portuguese study. We meet with our teacher Léa for 2 hours, twice a week. We certainly speak tons better than when we got here. We can communicate, we can teach, we can understand people on the phone. But we still have lots to learn. Somedays I think I am never going to get this language down and other days I praise God for allowing me the ability to understand and to be understood. I pray for the gift of tongues often, because I am pretty certain I cannot learn this language all on my own.

Randy and I work very hard to speak portuguese to one another when we are around Brazilians. The other day when had our couples class over for lunch, I was in the kitchen with the girls doing the dishes and Randy came in. Sometimes, when I need to say something quick I will still speak to him in English, because basically it is just easier. So we were in the kitchen and Randy and I had a little mini-conversation about something in English. I then apologized to the ladies becasue I didn't want them to think we were talking about them.

"I'm sorry for speaking in English in front of you, sometimes it's just easier."

"That's okay," one of them said, "We just feel like we are in a movie."

1 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger Monty Montgomery said...

Randy and Jennifer,

It is good to see you on your blog, and we look forward to seeing you next summer in person through Highland's Into All The World.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home