br Salvador Porters: Rain, Rain go away....

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Rain, Rain go away....

So it is another rainy winter day here in Salvador. And by winter I mean you still might break into a sweat but not sweltering, and by rainy I mean another day that your towels won't dry when you hang them up after a shower.
We knew the seasons were opposite here but we didn't expect all the implications of a different seasonal calendar as well as a different climate. We are still trying to get used to it being "winter" in July. Although it helps that it isn't actually cold. Although we have slept without our air conditioner on 3 out of the last 4 nights. And I do put on a sweater occasionally. Okay actually I only put on a sweater when I go to the movies. It seems to be a world wide phenomenon for movie theaters to be 20 degrees below 0.
It may be more strange when we are celebrating Christmas in the middle of summer. We ar also trying to get used to the idea of our birthday's being in the opposite season. It is difficult to imagine having a Fall birthday when you've always had a spring birthday. Just another part of culture shock I guess.

2 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Jennifer-

I have to say that the freak-out factor of having the seasons reversed would be pretty high for me, too, though I think I could get used to not having a harsh winter.

What movies have you seen this summer? All in Portugese?

We still think about you guys all the time, and we hope to keep hearing from you from time to time!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

well we have seen several movies this summer(winter). Most of the time the movies are in English with Portuguese subtitles. We have especially enjoyed Batman, Star Wars and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
Yesterday Kelton and I went to see Madagascar with some of the girls. All kid's movies are dubbed in Portuguese. We enjoyed it but I'm not sure we got all the jokes. But I'm not sure the Brazilians did either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home