br Salvador Porters: My new truck

Friday, March 24, 2006

My new truck

I will return to the lessons learned, but I needed to share a story from today that was exceptionally funny.

As many of you know we have been looking for a car. Many of you may also know that for many years I drove a full-size pickup. It eventually broke though and since that day I have been looking forward to the day when I can own one again.

Well today, I think I found one. It was a little rough around the edges, but you know. I found this great little truck at the wood store today while I was buying a door for one of the rooms at our new church building. Because I am currently without a car, and more specifically, because I still do not own a truck I had to hire one of the guys there to help me transport the door. (Many people in Brazil do not own trucks and so most woodstores have several guys who own what amounts to an old El'Camino who can help you out for a whatever price you can set.) This wasn't new to me I have done this several times in the last year, but of all the trucks I have ridden in this one stood out.

This remarkable feature is found within the cab of this truck, but it is not necessarily in plain site. If you rock the passanger seat forward it is readily accessable though, which is how I first saw this great little feature. I might have thought it just a 3 or 4 gallon jug of something the driver kept in the truck if it had not been for the two clear plastic tubs coming out of the spout with a rag tightly stuffed around it to keep it secure. But surely my first instinct was incorrect, so I watched as my driver returned the seat to its normal position taking care not to pinch the tubes which ran under the seat and then sat down. Off we went, but first he had to make one stop. He needed gas so quickly pulled in the gas station, he jumped out came around to my door and told me that I was going to need to jump out as well. He then proceeded to learn my seat forward and remove this jug I had been helping to secure in place removed the tubes and the lid and then filled it full of gas. After he was done he then stuffed the tubes and the rags back in place, put the jug behind my seat and told me to hop back inside. So I did and off we went to the building.

I must say this truck stands out from the rest. I have never seen the gas tank of a car so accessable and talk about security. Ot secure the car all you have to do at night is lean the seat forward and take the jug inside the house.

Despite flashes from Dateline's attempt to prove Chevy trucks could explode due to side impacts, I made it to the building safely with quite a memory and story to tell.

How about all of you, have you ever had a similar experience or ridden in a car that filled you with a few doubts about your safety?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home