br Salvador Porters: Language

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Language

We have finally started our Portuguese class.
The real question is are we in Kelton's class, is he in ours, or are we all in the same class. While it really is our class meeting at our house there are times I have felt like my language skills are about that of 1 year-old. It is really not that bad and it is all part of the learning process. I must say though it is interesting to be fluent in a language and have the ability of communicate in that language yet being completely lost because that is not the language people are using. All of the conversations about the importance of language really start to sink in to me. I can tell people what I want or what I am looking for in English with little to no problem, but if they do not know English all of my communicating does little good.

Obviously it is important and my job right now to learn Portuguese. But I also have to learn more than just words I have to learn the correct words. I am reminded of Paul’s desire to resemble those he teaches. The Word we proclaim is to be lived. The Word of God is dynamic and that cannot be communicated only through translated words that have the same meaning. So where do we begin? There seem to be several ways to apply Christ’s call for us to be like little children and maybe this is one of them. So even if this isn’t Kelton’s class hopefully we can all be as attentive as our children to see how people communicate beyond their words. I am convinced that as we bear witness to Christ in this way, as learners and servants, God’s Gospel will continue to claim souls and lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home